Friday, May 28, 2010

The Branding


The Branding last Saturday went well. Ted and Kay were kind enough to let me rope and we finished before dark. Kay and I had moved the cattle a few days prior so they were close to the branding corrals and the gather only lasted an hour. We had 270 calves in this bunch. After roping a few, I vaccinated, gave implants and even castrated some bull calves. It was a day. After the work was done we all headed to the main house for dinner and some brews. There were 40 people who showed up...most neighbors, just coming to lend a helping hand and recruiting others for their own brandings. I've got another tomorrow to go to. This one is going to be an all dayer....we start gathering at 7am.
It's neat to be a part of this community. Everyone helps each other and takes care of one another. One of our neighbors to the south had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and already everyone is talking of how they are going to get cattle taken care of and moved for him this summer. These are good people here and I am learning a lot from them.
Alanna (my roomate and first year vet student)on right, middle...me!, and local vet (Marnie) on left

















No comments:

Post a Comment