Monday, May 3, 2010

The Research Project

Horay! I finally have permission to post info about what I will be doing this summer. Where do I start???? Well, let me begin by saying that I am taking part in an amazing study whose goal in mind is to help solve one of the largest problem/issue facing the management of wild horses in this country. Over time I will explain how the project will do this.


Over the course of this blog I hope to share with you my many experiences, the people I will meet and the horses I will follow. In less than two weeks I will be heading to Medora, ND to track wild horses in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park (TRNP). The purpose of following these horses is to document their reproductive behavior and seek the environmental impacts of a immunocontraceptive vaccine called GonaCon. The hopeful out come is that mares who were vaccinated last fall will not show signs of heat nor cycle this breeding season. Yes, you got it ...it's birth control for horses. This vaccine has been used in elk up at Rocky Mountain National Park and several other species in captivity. The efficacy of this vaccine is +/- 4 years which could be useful to prevent the births of unwanted horses on federal/public lands and reduce the number of "round-ups" needed to decrease their numbers.




In anticipation of working on this project I applied for Morris Animal Foundation (MAF) Scholarship for Veterinary students doing research. I was chosen to represent CSU in my category of applicants and I am totally excited to present on this topic at their convention in Atlanta,GA next year.





Here is a pic of my dwelling for the summer! I am living on a ranch about 15 miles south of TRNP in this hunting cabin. Just looking at it makes me smile:) During the days I'm not in the park, I will be helping AI cows, riding my colts, and hopefully enjoying the peace and serenity of a cell phone-less land. Thanks for reading and I'll have more info to come. So Stay Tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fantastic and meaningful way to spend a summer. I have cabin envy right now. Gorgeous spot!

    ReplyDelete