Monday, May 31, 2010

Horseback in the Park

Happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone gets the chance to remember those who fought for America’s freedom and safety.
This past week was the first time I rode my horses in the park. On Wednesday, I rode Colonel out to find Copper, Brutus and Embers. It was pretty spooky as the stallions knew that my horse was a stallion. In fact, Coal (a black bachelor) came over to my trailer while Colonel was still in it! I drove up the Bicourt to park and we went out for our ride. My horse was fresh as he too could sense the excitement in the air. I was able to do my observations and keep Colonel out of sight from the bands but on my way back to the trailer, someone followed me. It was Silver. He left his mares on the hill to come check us out. Just
as I got to the trailer to tie up Colonel, he let out a big whinny and Silver got very excited. He began to approach the trailer at a trot and I started to wonder how this was going to turn out…..was I going to have to yell and spook him away or should I quickly get out a rope to deter him from coming any closer? Just as I had put down my camera getting ready to do something, another horse popped over the hill. It was Mystery! He had left his band way below the Biocourt to see what all the whinnying was about. It was perfect timing as he distracted Silver and the two of them had some words right on the road. I loaded my horse and watched the two of them duke it out. I don’t think I will be taking Colonel to the Park anymore to look for wild horses …kind of spooky.
On Thursday, Al (the range rider) and I were going to ride together. When I told him about the day prior he said you have to have a lot of guts to ride a stud out here….the horses can smell him and if left alone, they’ll chew him up. Al was right. It wasn’t a smart idea to begin with and I kind of knew that before….I gues
s I wanted to see what would happen and now I know. Anyway, I brought Cache that day. It was slick; the rain had made all the gumbo buttes greasy. When wet, the bentonite clay is just a mess and makes traveling the trails really tough. We rode 15 miles that day looking for Blaze and never found him. Oh it was frustrating but I told Al that I would rather be riding than hiking and not find a horse. Al agreed and said, “you’ll get those colts broke this summer…that’s for sure” Cache did great that day! I was so happy with how he handled the conditions and length of day. He learned how to use his butt sliding down those buttes with me on his back. It was a great ride
On Friday, Al and I went out again. This time I brought JJ a
s Cache seemed pooped from the day prior. We had a shorter day and finally found Blaze over in Lindo flats. I had never loped JJ before so I figured this was good a place as any. He did fine and overall I was pleased with is confidence and ability to ride out in front and away from Al. We ended the day with my first rattle snake finding!! Al’s horse almost stepped on it. The ground was wet and when it’s damp, they can’t shake their rattles. Luckily he just slithered on his way, never coiling up or striking. I wish I could put a scratch and sniff on the blog so you could smell the sage after the rain. Natures’ aromatherapy at it’s best!



Guitar - my favorite colt...should be a blue roan












Orphan Blue with her colt, "Stetson"

















Friendly "Sidekick" came over to say hello. One of the best tempered stallions in the park.







Al looking for Blaze off Buck Hill on a foggy day.








Mystery's group taking a morning snooze:)








Lacey and foal.












So peaceful!



2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! Seems that you are keeping busy. Sure is nice to stop studying for a while and use your body. Our branding is on Saturday, and the neighbors on Sunday. Take some pictures of Cache and JJ when you get a chance. The stallions look intense. Were you out alone when it took place? Runoff hasn't started yet here, snuck down to the Green yesterday and caught one of the biggest browns I've ever caught! Miss you and hope all is well, give the horses a pat for me. I'll be brushing up on my roping skill for this Saturday, maybe I'll get a chance to rope too. Alan and Trudy say Hi. Hopefully I'll get a few days and maybe sneak in a visit???? Miss Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the photo of the two wile ones dueling by the road... it all sounds so amazing... and looks like heaven.

    ReplyDelete