Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Ranch

Today it's raining. My Grandpa has come out to visit so I am meeting him and Lois in town so we can explore all the touristy stuff together. We might go check out the ND Cowboy Hall of Fame and all the little shops around town. I hope the weather clears this afternoon so I can show them the Park but we will see what mother nature decided to do. The branding is tomorrow and it would be nice if we wer'nt out wrestling calves in the mud.

Anyway, here are some pics of the ranch. The old barn is made out of huge railroad ties and seems like it will last forever. The ranch brand is two half circles as seen on the hide above. After spending the day in the park, I enjoy coming home and working horses. Cache and JJ are two peas in a pod while Colonel has a bit more serious understanding of why he is here. Two nights ago moved the cows and calves into the pasture where we are going to brand. I think that he really enjoys having a job. The rain is really starting to come down as I write this. Luckily I am safe and sound in the pickup....the fresh smell of sage after a storm is what I look forward to today. My good friend in Fort Collins gave me a book to read while I'm here called "Dakota Cowboy". Each night I try to get through a few pages before drifting off. It's a wonderful escape into this land 120 years ago. The book tells of true accounts of open range grazing, cattle companies, the railroad and movement west. Even then, the bison where gone but what a life that must have been. TR always said that it was here that began the romance of his life.


Cache during a hobble lesson







JJ standing quietly after a lesson in the arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment