Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Horses

So, the moment we have all been waiting for is finally here! First off, I just want to thank my Dad for driving out with me, my wonderful mom and sister for packing me delicious food for the summer, and my Uncle Bri and Aunt Kim for the awesome camera that is allowing me to share this experience with you all.
Below are some great photos (just a few of the 300+ I have taken in the last three days). I have been so busy since things got started here that it's been hard to find time to get to free wireless Internet in town. I found a spot here under the pizza parlor and next to the Dakota Cyclery that's in the shade and has a pretty strong signal. The town of Medora is just starting to come alive as all the seasonals start to move in their temporary summer spots. The church opened last week and the buzz of lawn mowers fill the early mornings. I have only been here a few days yet I've seen over 100 horses , been to 2 brandings, moved yearlings at the ranch, hunted for sheds and seen the world's largest dairy cow:) Yes, that would be Salem Sue in Salem, ND and I DO have a picture that I will post at another time.
The horses are very photogenic and differ in color, size, and stature. It's interesting that you see the variation despite the low genetic pool. Today we have been doing some training with good ol folks from Fort Collins on data collection and sampling. Tomorrow we will be doing the same. I feel that even though it's only been a few days, I am getting the hang of it and starting to remember the horses. I think after the week is done, I'll be confident to go out on my own to find the more aloof bands. WE haven't seen blaze yet or WindCanyon II. I've heard they are beautiful horses so I can't wait to meet them. Well, I'm just about out of battery...better post, be on my way home to ride the colts.







Dad with Flica and Cloud


The double band up Coal Vein Road







New Baby I think out of Molly








Granite's Boy (bachelor) fighting Gray Ghost with Satellite watching from a far and the ladies in the back watching



Sweet faced Flicka

1 comment: