Sunday, June 27, 2010

Update

I am Back! It's been a long week as my parents left a week ago and now we are heavily breeding cows at the ranch. We have 150 cows/heifers to AI with 40 head completed so far. I've got an update on Gary's band: Here is Rosie....the one mare that was missing from Gary's group last Monday. I found her a few days later and she had a colt on her side. I got to name this foal and chose "Teton" which means prairie dweller. This years theme is cowboy and Native American names. We had some weather this past week too with over an inch and a half of rain, lots of lightning and loud thunder. My colts are doing well. I rode Cache 3 days in the park last week and what a difference it makes when you can ride those little boogers multiple long days in a row. JJ has been my heat detection partner at the ranch. I love riding these guys but as Ted says "She's not much of a bronc rider". I've been bucked off both of them this week.... oh the joy of riding young horses. I rode JJ out tonight to check cows for the first time alone. He did great walking through the creek and up over the chalk cliffs. It's a big pasture and takes one rider over an hour to check the whole thing at a trot. It's such a valuable thing to be able to do with these colts and I'm taking advantage of each opportunity to expose them to ranch work. It sure beats loping circles everyday to get them broke.
















Half Moon and Teepee (taking a snooze)







Smokey







Half Moon








Lacey








Singlefoot (double band stallion)




















Wind Canyon II









Guitar is getting big! Look at that butt!





No comments:

Post a Comment